Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A short safari…

A squint through the window brought me the refreshing sight of the woods. For a moment I was lured with the sight. A cool wind was lashing on my face through the small opening of the side window. I had passed many times through Bandipur national park, In fact more than 50 times from and to. This is the first time travelling in the early morning. The dawn is slightly up. The trees look elusive after a long shower. Sun rays are hardly finding their way to the ground crouching among the branches. What made this journey was a sudden breakdown of the vehicle near Mysore. Or else I would've reached home. But I have no rue for this late journey. I just had a look on my mobile, no signs of network at all. I heard most of the wild animals wander around in night and early morning. As the bus meandered across the forest I started gazing outside for the loom of animals.
The very first sight was a flock of deer roaming on the grassy fields. They were almost near to a dozen. I wish I could make a photograph if the bus stopped for a moment. I guess the driver is in great hurry, oh I forgot we are already late for almost 5 hours. I was in a lest about elephants blocking our way. I kept my eyes concentrated to the deep woods. And deer’s again, but this time they are less in numbers. They darted in to the jungle when the bus passed. I wiped the window for a better sight. After a couple of minutes one wild buffalo came in our way. I was excited to see that giant animal. He was bustling in the mud alone. When the bus passed by he turned his head towards the vehicle. His askance look was a good theme for a photographer. Just some distance away a nondescript deer was standing on the side of road soaked completely in rain. He remained in the same place for a long time.
A few seconds after crossing the Kerala border, the next was a breath taking sight. 3 elephants standing on a riverside few meters away from the road. They were inside the thick vegetation of bamboo. How sad that the scene lasted only for some seconds. Seeing elephants in their habitat is really luck in the jungle safari. In this very common journey it has come true. I remember my trip to Thekkady few years back. I have not seen a single elephant. My thoughts started haunting me. I leaned back on my seat. I could see some street lights outside and now there is less chance of seeing a wild animal.

I dont have any photos because this was totally unexpected and was not having cam

No comments: